Hi all! Time is flying by!! I read something today and it said this: “Make a list of things that make you happy. Make a list of things you do every day. Compare lists…and adjust accordingly.” I love this because the list of things I do every day and the list of things that make me happy right now are pretty dang close. I could not be more blessed with the opportunities rolling into my life and the way things are going!
[Tweet “Need a new way to keep your pasta portions in check? Stuff it in a tomato! You get the satisfaction from the carbs and a fresh tomato filled with filled with antioxidants such as lycopene! |Krollskorner.com”]
This was a new recipe for me…so I hope you like it as much as my mom and I did. As I was making it I was totally thinking to make this an even “healthier” dish I could stuff the tomatoes with spaghetti squash mmmm. I love this for a Meatless Monday idea and how it keeps your pasta portions in check! Not to mention all of the lycopene that tomatoes are loaded with!
- 3-4 large heirloom tomatoes cored and seeds removed - save insides
- 1/2 pound thin spaghetti noodles
- 2 T garlic chopped
- 1/2 jar marinara sauce low sodium
- 2 T basil fresh, chopped
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 T EVOO
- 1 T red pepper chili flakes
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper TT
- Parmesan optional
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil and cook off thin spaghetti. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- While the water is boiling, cook diced onions and garlic in 1 T extra virgin olive oil until onions are translucent. Add in the marinara, basil, and seasonings and bring to a light boil.
- Slice the top third of the tomato, reserving the top for garnish as a "top hat." Scoop the insides of the tomato out and add into the marinara sauce that is by now boiling.
- Once pasta is cooked and drained, lightly toss pasta with marinara. Swirl with fork and gently place portioned pasta into tomato shells. Put tomatoes in a glass casserole dish that will hold up your tomatoes and cook in oven for 10-15 minutes. Top with additional sauce and top with Parmesan if desired. Serve with tops on and enjoy!