This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Sheet pan meals are nothing new but are a total weeknight dinner game changer.
We’ve been hooked on making sheet pan dinners (like this easy one with chicken and veggies) and have fallen in love with this sheet pan salmon recipe too!
The trick is choosing foods to go on the pan that approximately all need about the same cooking time.
This is why I chose the salmon with asparagus and small dice potatoes. I knew they would all cook for about 15-20 minutes in the oven. (Be sure to dice the potatoes small so they cook quickly!)
This was so easy, tasty, healthy and took no time to clean up. (Ok, well maybe like 6 minutes). It’s an all around winning situation especially for those busy weeknights that fly by.
Ingredients needed to make Sheet Pan Salmon
- 2 salmon fillets ~7 oz. each
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 1/2 lb. mini red potatoes: you can really use any potatoes you prefer, just be sure to dice them super small!
- Homemade Pesto(or store bought if you prefer): We loveeee the avocado pesto that I have written in the recipe below. It’s perfectly creamy and filled with bursts of summery flavors from the fresh basil and lemon.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: you can also use avocado oil if you prefer
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and pepper: kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper take this dish up a notch!
How to make Sheet Pan Salmon
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Make the pesto in a food processor.
- Toss diced potatoes with garlic powder, salt and pepper and season the salmon with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon in the middle of sheet pan and spread pesto on top. ~2 Tbsp. pesto for each filet.
- Place asparagus on other side of salmon, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange potatoes on the other side of the salmon.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness of salmon. Enjoy as is or with a side of pasta! *Salmon should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145° F.
Tips for making the best sheet pan salmon
- Place the salmon in the middle of the sheet pan! This is where they’ll absorb the most heat! Then scatter the vegetables on both sides of the salmon.
- Dice the veggies in similar sizes – and change the veggies up! Just be mindful of needing everything on the pan to cook at the same time so choose proteins and veggies that have similar cook times. Other vegetable ideas:
- Sweet Potatoes (small dice)
- Bell Peppers
- Brussels Sprouts
- Try not to overcrowd the pan. You want everything to cook evenly and not get soggy.
- Use a commercial grade half sheet pan! (18×13 inches)
- For easy clean up, line your rimmed baking sheet with foil!
How long does the homemade pesto last?
Fresh pesto can last up to 5 days in the fridge.
How can I use up leftover pesto?
You might have a little leftover pesto. We like tossing the potatoes in it or making this meal with pasta and using the pesto on that. You can use the pesto on eggs in the morning for breakfast, add it to sandwiches, enjoy it with chicken or even use it as a dip!
Can I make the pesto without a food processor?
If you have a marble mortal and pestle that works too!
What temperature do you cook sheet pan meals?
For this particular recipe everything gets baked in a 400°F oven.
Hope you enjoy and make a sheet pan meal for yourself sometime soon!
Before You Begin! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
- 2, (7 oz.) salmon fillets
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1/2 lb. mini red potatoes, small dice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch fresh basil (~1 cup packed)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic (~ 1 tsp. minced)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Last step! If you make this, please leave a review and rating letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive & continue providing free recipes.
For the pesto:
- Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Taste and adjust salt, pepper, lemon juice as desired.
For the sheet pan meal:
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Toss diced potatoes in a medium sized bowl with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon in the middle of sheet pan and spread a heaping spoonful of pesto on top. Smooth pesto in an even layer. (~2 Tbsp per salmon filet)
- Arrange asparagus on one side of salmon, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange seasoned potatoes on the other side of the salmon.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, depending on thickness of salmon. Salmon should be cooked to an internal temperature of 145° F and potatoes should be fork tender.
- Toss potatoes in leftover pesto if desired and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Use different veggies such as broccoli, Brussels or sweet potatoes!
- Remove the skin on the salmon prior to baking if desired.
- Serve with pasta instead of potatoes if preferred. We have added more veggies to the sheet pan and boiled pasta and love using the leftover pesto on the pasta!