Cilantro Lime Rice…the perfect addition for Taco Tuesday or as a side dish! It is fun making your rice flavorful from fresh ingredients instead of from a box!
Happy Wellness Wednesday all! People always talk about Chipotle and how amazing it is…so I wanted to recreate something from their menu and make it from scratch. Speaking of Chipotle, have you ever used their nutrition calculator? It is pretty crazy how many grams of fat or milligrams of sodium are in some of the meal combinations! I recommend using this to be aware of how much you are consuming if you like to occasionally visit.
Cilantro is rich in beta-carotene in addition to beneficial vitamins (A and C); it is also packed with minerals like potassium and calcium!
Additionally, blood pressure and intestinal health both benefit from cilantro, and the potassium helps stabilize the body’s fluid levels and therefore the heart rate. Cilantro is rich in anemia-preventing iron while the leaves and tips are loaded with antioxidants that help prevent heart disease. It has also been shown beneficial for diabetics.
I hope you find ways to incorporate cilantro into your diet, whether it be this recipe or any other dish! 🙂
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lime juice + 2 Tbsp. zest
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- pinch of cumin and garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium-large frying pan, heat butter, onion, and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add in rice and stir for 30 seconds. Add in seasonings and chicken broth and let it come to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. DO NOT lift the lid while the rice is cooking.
- Once rice is cooked, add in lime zest, juice, and chopped cilantro. Give it a nice stir and serve warm!