Sweet potato pie might have to be the new pumpkin pie in my house – I can’t get over how delicious this turned out! Try out my sweet potato pie for a healthy Thanksgiving dessert this year!
November 2016 – Theme
Trimming the Table
The holiday baking season is upon us. Time to pull out all the stops. Show us the healthy holiday dessert you will be sharing with family and friends this season.
Holiday time is here and people get extra stressed and busy during this time. Most of us tend to lean on food for comfort which can sometimes end up in a whole pint of ice cream suddenly disappearing before our eyes, haha. This year let’s try to trim the table and our waistlines with this sweet potato pie! It’s still comforting, but hey! You’re still consuming tons of vitamin A, fiber and potassium 😉
The weekend flew by…Friday night I worked a carnival for my mom selling caramel apples with a couple girlfriends it was a great turnout! Then Saturday morning my older brother came over and I made us breakfast…a super yummy vegetarian egg bake and French press coffee, it was the perfect start to our day! Then after he left I made this pie…the house smelt amazing to say the least!
On Sunday I went to a new cycle class in town called Ride54. If any of you have heard of Soul Cycle it is a little bit like that! I am super stoked for the studio to open up in Dec (which is basically tomorrow haha). I needed a new workout routine so I am looking forward to this new cycling regimen I’ll be on! What do you all do to stay in shape during the holiday’s?!
Anyways, I hope you enjoy this recipe. To make the process a little more simple…you can of course buy pre-made graham cracker crust but I wanted to make mine from scratch!
- Graham crackers: 20 cookie sheets
- 4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 egg whites
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, cooked, skin removed & mashed
- 1 (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place the graham crackers in a food processor until crumbly. Then add in remaining ingredients until combined. Spray 9-inch pie pan with PAM and then press the graham cracker crust into the pie pan. Bake for 8-9 minutes then remove and let cool.
- Melt the 1 stick of butter in a sauce pan and add in the cinnamon stick and cloves. Let this cook over medium heat for 5 minutes then remove cloves and cinnamon stick.
- In a mixer/Kitchen Aid, mix the remaining 9 ingredients together until smooth, light and fluffy. Pour this mixture into the two prepared pie crusts and cook in the oven at 350F for 45 minutes. Let cool for another 45 before serving.
- *Inspired by Southern Living magazine
- *Makes 2 Sweet potato pies