Hi all! This post is going to be super short and sweet because I am studying for my Registered Dietitian Examination!!!
I love eggplant because of its versatility and nutrition perks…and it makes for a great meal for Meatless Monday! One cup of eggplant is only about 20 calories, providing 3g fiber, and 10% of the DV for manganese. It is rich in phytohchemicals which can help protect against cardiovascular disease. It is in season right now until about October, so be sure to pick one up at your local farmers market or grocery store! 🙂
- 2 medium sized eggplants
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 package of small mozzarella balls
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil + 1 Tbsp
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Red Pepper Chili Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash and slice eggplant 1/4 inch thick. Salt eggplant slices and place in strainer for 10 minutes to drain out any excess water.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, balsamic, garlic, red pepper, and salt and pepper. In a large frying pan, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Dip the 1/4 in. cut eggplant slices into the olive oil/balsamic vinegar mixture so both sides get lightly coated. Place each slice in the pan for 2-3 minutes on each sides. Repeat until all eggplant is done.
- Place eggplant directly on a baking sheet and layer the cheese, tomatoes, and basil on top of each slider. Broil eggplant for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Enjoy with a balsamic reduction if desired.
What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy eggplant?