Blueberries are quite possibly one of my favorite summer fruits due to their yummyness and their association with health benefits! Then I thought…I should make another favorite thing of mine…cookies! And voila…Blueberry Cookies were born.
My family said these cookies have a scone-like texture, but the middle of the cookie adds a creamy texture because they are filled with cream cheese. mmmmm.
Once you make these, I would recommend enjoying them right away or placing in the fridge. If left in a baggie on the counter there will be too much moisture and they cookies will get soggy. We don’t want soggy cookies!
I added in some ground flaxseed and some oats for some added nutrition and fiber (since let’s be real it is a cookie with butter and sugar I had to make it somewhat healthy) 🙂 I hope you enjoy!
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup oats (quick - 1 minute)
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 egs
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2.5 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1/2 package of cream cheese, softened
- glaze: 1 cup powdered sugar, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the Kitchen Aid, cream together the butter and sugar until it is light a fluffy. Blend in lemon juice, lemon zest and 2 eggs.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the baking soda, baking powder, salt, flax seed, oats, and flour. Then mix in wet ingredients from the mixer bowl until combined.
- Gently fold in 1 cup blueberries. Refrigerate dough for 15 minutes.
- For each cookie, roll dough into a medium sized ball and then flatten a little. Place ~1 Tbsp cream cheese in the center of each cookie and form the dough around it. Place each cookie on parchment paper.
- Bake 16 minutes.
- While in oven, make glaze by mixing lemon juice and powdered sugar together. Once cookies have cooled for ~5 minutes, drizzle glaze over cookies.
- Once you make these, I would recommend enjoying them right away or placing in the fridge. If left in a baggie on the counter there will be too much moisture and they cookies will get soggy. We don't want soggy cookies!