Ever since I bought my spiralizer attachment for my Kitchen Aid I keep finding excuses to spiralize foods! I was going to make a basic sweet potato with ground turkey and avocado but thought of these sliders instead…and SO happy with how they turned out! I was not sure how I would like the flavor combo but it was totally awesome. These make for a perfect appetizer and if you have a spiralizer or something similar this recipe will be a piece of cake.
I love the deep orange sweet potatoes have. Color offers so much more than eye appeal to a wonderful meal. The orange means sweet potatoes are rich in carotenoids, bioflavonoids, and the antioxidant Vitamin C which may promote a healthy heart, vision, immunity, and reduced risks for some cancers. The deeper the color, the more carotenoids these foods have! I told a few of the 9th grade health classes I was teaching earlier this week that a rainbow of fruits and veggies creates a palette of nutrients and phytonutrients on their plate… all of which have benefits in a healthful diet!
- 4 small sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and spiralized
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 4-6 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 1 large egg
- fresh basil for garnish
- Salt and pepper TT
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spiralize your sweet potatoes and place in medium-large bowl. Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add in zoodles. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper and additional olive oil if needed. Cook for about 7 minutes then set aside in bowl to let cool for a few minutes. Beat the egg and mix into the sweet potato noodles.
- Using a the bottom of a muffin tin tray, form spiralized sweet potato into the bottom of the pan. Press down with foil if needed. Do this until all sweet potato is used up! Place these in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to form a solid structure.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with PAM. Place the sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet and cook for 4-5 minutes in the oven on 1 side, flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes on the other side. When done, remove from muffin tin and top with fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. Drizzle with balsamic reduction if desired.