Healthy Beet Salad with Feta
This crave-worthy beet salad with feta is full of nutrient rich red and yellow beets, avocado and walnuts, all tossed with greens in a homemade champagne vinaigrette dressing.
Servings 8 people
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed and chopped
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, washed and chopped sub arugula, mixed greens, kale, etc.
- 3 oz. golden berries
- 3 small/medium red beets, cooked and diced*
- 3 small/medium golden yellow beets, cooked and diced*
- 1 cup barley, cooked
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced or sliced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- Mint for garnish
- 1/3 cup champagne vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, fresh
- pinch of salt and pepper
In a small bowl or mason jar, combine all dressing ingredients and mix well to combine. This will get drizzled over the salad to taste. If not serving right away, keep the dressing on the side.
Transfer the washed, chopped salad greens into a large mixing bowl.
Add in the golden berries, diced beets, barley, avocado, barley, walnuts and red onion.
Drizzle with desired amount of dressing and toss to combine.
Garnish with feta cheese, hemp seeds and mint.
How to boil beets
Trim off the tops of the beets, leaving about a 2 inch stem. Add beets to a large stockpot or Dutch oven and fill with water so beets are covered. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes (depending on size of beets) or until fork tender. Carefully remove beets and place in a large both filled with ice water. Peel beets using a pair of disposable gloves to rub the skin right off, or you can use paper towels. Be sure to slice off the root end before dicing beets.
*I like to boil the yellow and red beets separately so the colors don’t bleed.