Spicy Zucchini Taco Boats
These zucchini taco boats are stuffed with a spicy ground turkey taco filling. Top your taco boats with diced avocado, cheese, and tomatoes!
Servings 8 boats
- 4 med/lg. zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- 2 cups spicy salsa (or salsa of choice)
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 oz. taco seasoning packet (1 packet)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 small white or yellow onion, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce (unsalted)
- 1 small jalapeno
- 1 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I like a cheddar and jack)
- 1 medium avocado, cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions for topping
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 400° F. Place 1 cup of spicy salsa on the bottom of a large 9x13 inch baking dish.
Blanch the zucchini halves. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Place the zucchini halves (seeds removed) in the boiling water for 1-2 minutes. Drain and set halves in the prepared baking dish.
Cook the ground turkey over medium heat in a large skillet, breaking it up up while it cooks. If sticking to pan, add in 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil. When meat is almost fully cooked add the taco seasoning, spices, onion, jalapeño, bell pepper, salsa, tomato sauce and water and mix well. Let this come to a simmer and cook 2-3 minutes more.
Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats with the meat, dividing the taco meat equally. Sprinkle cheese on top. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes or until zucchini is cooked through. Top with avocado, tomatoes, parsley or any other fixings you like!
- Prep this dish in advance! Assemble your zucchini boats earlier in the day, then store them covered in the fridge until you’re ready to bake them! Easy peasy.
Serving: 1boat | Calories: 389kcal | Protein: 33.8g