No Boil Mac and Cheese
Save some time and skip a step when making mac and cheese by not boiling the macaroni! Instead, mix the dried pasta with a thin and cheesy béchamel sauce, broccoli and it'll bake right in the oven.
Servings 8 people
- 1 lb. uncooked elbow macaroni noodles (16 oz.)
- 2 large heads of broccoli, chopped into small pieces (about 3 cups)
- 4 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese*, divided
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground mustard
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the dry macaroni noodles in the dish with 1 cup shredded cheese and chopped broccoli. Combine and set aside.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in the flour, whisking constantly for about a minute.
Pour the milk in gradually, whisking in between increments. Continue until a thin sauce begins to form. Add in the water and whisk again. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer.
Add in the remaining cheese and seasonings. Simmer for another 10 minutes then remove from heat and pour over pasta and broccoli
Gently stir. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until edges are bubbling and pasta is tender.
Remove from oven and let rest with foil on for 10 minutes before serve. Stir and enjoy immediately.
- Use a processed cheese such as Velveeta for a creamier mac and cheese consistency.
- Reheat leftovers on the stove, add milk as needed to bring back the creaminess of the dish.
- The cheese sauce will be thin, that's OK. It will thicken in the oven as it bakes.
- This recipe makes a lot of pasta! Cut recipe in half if needed.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 725kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 112mg | Sodium: 690mg | Potassium: 863mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 2176IU | Vitamin C: 136mg | Calcium: 703mg | Iron: 3mg