30 Minute Butternut Squash Bites
Butternut Squash Bites are healthy appetizer for the holidays or just about any time of year! Easy, nutritious, and delicious!
Servings 15 bites
- 1 package frozen mini phyllo dough shells 15 shells
- 1, 10 oz. bag of frozen butternut squash
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/4 medium white onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp. fresh sage, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- pumpkin seeds for garnish
Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Set phyllo shells on an ungreased cookie sheet. Then, microwave frozen butternut squash as directed on package.
In a medium sized skillet, melt butter and cook onion for ~5 minutes on medium heat. Stirring occasionally. Onion should become near translucent. In a medium bowl, mash the butternut squash using a potato masher. Then stir in the cooked onions, cheese, sage, and seasonings until nicely incorporated.
Spoon mixture into phyllo shells and bake for 8 minutes. Top with pumpkin seeds and serve warm!
These are best if eaten the same day. Leftovers the next day will be soggy.
If you would like the butternut squash filling to be smoother, puree it in a food processor or use an immersion blender to smooth out the filling prior to baking.
Serving: 1bite | Calories: 75kcal