Happy Recipe Redux Day:)
This month’s theme is:
Fantastic Freezer Meals:
Share your tips and tricks for making one – or more freezer meals. It’s the end of the gardening season for some of us; let’s store away that produce in heat-and-eat-from-the-freezer-
Growing up…and still to this day…my mother has a tradition of making a lasagna for Christmas Eve dinner. This is not your ordinary lasagna…it is probably a good 10+ layers, 3 different types of meats, cheese galore. You get the point. There is always A TON of leftovers and we always have to freeze the lasagna because it is too precious of a meal to go to waste. That is how I got my idea to do a freezer lasagna for this post, but I made mine a little healthier one might say 🙂
My secrete for this post…cottage cheese! Have you ever made your lasagna with cottage cheese?! It is a great alternative with the same creaminess you desire.
Lasagna can freeze up to 6 weeks. Simply wrap in plastic wrap + foil, date it and freeze! Enjoy!
- 1 package lasagna noodles cook to package directions
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 shallot diced
- 1 package fresh mushrooms thinly sliced
- 3-5 tablespoons garlic olive oil
- 4 cups favorite marinara sauce
- 12 ounces frozen spinach
- 2 cups part skim ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 2 T chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- salt & pepper TT
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 13" X 9" casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Thaw spinach & press out any water. In a bowl combine the spinach, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese & parsley. Season with some salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Add oil to a medium sized sauté pan. Sauté the onion, shallot, mushrooms and garlic in a pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until softened & fragrant. Add this to the cheese mixture. Combine well.
- Assemble the lasagna: Pour 1/2 of the jarred sauce into the pan. Layer on 5 noodles. Top with 1/2 of the cheese & spinach mixture. Repeat this: sauce, noodles, cheese. Top with another layer of 5 noodles. Top with the additional 1 cup of sauce. DO NOT place mozzerella cheese on top of sauce yet.
- Cover the lasagna in foil & bake for ~40 minutes. (Also - place a cookie sheet or another slip of foil understand the lasagna just incase the lasagna bubbles over - keep that oven nice and clean!) After 40 minutes, put mozzarella cheese to cover the top, and Parmesan if desired! Uncover and cook for another 3-5 minutes so cheese can melt.
- Remove lasagna from oven, let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
[inlinkz_linkup id=557633 mode=1]