Happy Labor Day weekend everyone! Labor Day means family, friends and FOOD! Try to maximize the time spent hanging with the people around you and less time on cooking with these 5 minimal labor recipes. As I was making these recipes, I was thinking these certainly are not zero labor – but they are VERY simple. My goal was to think of fun, simple, BBQ type foods and kick them up a notch with healthful ingredients.
The 5 recipes below include:
- BBQ Pork Sliders
- Bun-less Turkey Burger Bites
- Blueberry Ketchup
- Vegetarian 3 Bean Dip
- Broccoli and Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
The Vegetarian 3 Bean Dip is from Kroll’s Korner archives! Instead of chips serve use sliced cucumber, endive or mini baby bell peppers! Click here for the recipe!
For the burgers
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Toppings you like! I used cherry tomatoes leaf lettuce, red onion, and cheddar cheese.
- Bamboo forks toothpicks or skewers
For the blueberry ketchup
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/4 tsp. cumin and cayenne.
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- For the burger: In a medium bowl, mix the ground turkey in with the first 5 ingredients. (Everything except oil). Mix well - I used my hands! Then roll into small balls, keeping in mind these are for bite sized burgers. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand to give it a burger look and not so much of a meatball look.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the burgers in batches. I did 2-3 minutes on each side or until the inside was no longer pink. If you want cheeseburger bites, place a cheese on top 2 minutes before you think the burgers will be done and cover with a lid to melt the cheese.
- Then assemble with your favorite burger toppings!
For the ketchup
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, saute the first 4 ingredients together for 3-5 minutes. Then add in the next 5 ingredients and reduce heat. Let this cook for about 10 minutes or until ketchup begins to thicken. Enjoy as a perfect ketchup alternative with your burger bites!
Broccoli and Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 head fresh broccoli chopped into small pieces
- ~12 Brussels Sprouts halved and sliced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 8 dates chopped
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup Fresh orange juice
- Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Let chill for 30 minutes and enjoy!
[Tweet “Must have recipes for your Labor Day party! |Krollskorner.com”]