Avocados make wonderful soup, who knew?! This refreshing and delicious soup recipe tastes just as good chilled as it does hot!
January 2017 – Theme
How low can you go? Can you make a meal for less than $3 per serving? Whatever your budget, show us your healthy entree recipe to help keep food spending in check in 2017.
So excited for this first Recipe Redux post of 2017!! For the majority of us, the New Year = New Goals and part of those goals might be to save some mula! I know for me personally I need to budget better in 2017. This recipe is just for you if you’re counting those nickels and dimes. With each serving of soup costing approx. $3 or less you really can’t beat it! Especially since this recipes serves 4-5 people. That’s a win-win if you ask me.
I used 2 large avocados for this recipe, and bought some that were pretty ripe. The more ripe the avocado, the easier it is to press through the strainer/mesh. I am obsessed with avocados — I put it on my toast…in my smoothies…in my brownies…in my pesto…basically anything food related, LOL. Oooooo this made me think of avocado ice cream. I need some of that in my life asap. Anyways since I am obsessed with them I figured why not make SOUP!
This took me all of 30 minutes. It can be served as the main entree for a light and satisfying meal.
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if that's all you have)
- 4 oz. light cream
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. coriander
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (garnish)
- salt and pepper TT
- Cut the avocados in half, remove pits and mash the flesh. I used a strainer and pressed it through with a wooden spoon. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a medium-large pot on the stove, heat the broth, cream, yogurt and coriander.
- When mixture is hot, but not yet boiling, whisk in the avocado. Season to taste with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the chopped cilantro.