This recipe puts a fun twist on a traditional baked potato with sloppy joe mix. I love how colorful this meal is and how it is loaded with healthy fats, low in sodium, and high in protein. This is one of my “go-to” dinner options because it is easy, healthy, and down right delicious.
I always find ways to add avocado to my meals and a site I visit often is: http://www.avocadocentral.com/loveonetoday. They have great recipes with using Hass avocados and nutritional information on their website. As you most likely are aware of, avocados contain the “healthy” type of fat.
“The avocado is virtually the only fruit that has monounsaturated fat.”
Avocados contribute good fats to one’s diet, providing 3 grams monounsaturated fat and 0.5 polyunsaturated grams fat per 1-oz. serving. Also, avocados are cholesterol- and sodium-free, and more than 50 percent of the fruit’s fat content comes from monounsaturated fats.
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, halves, seeded, and diced.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. garlic olive oil
- 1.2 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. red pepper chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 package ground turkey meat (~8-10 oz)
- 1 14oz can petite diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- With a fork, pierce sweet potatoes all over several times. Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; bake until soft and fork tender, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, garlic powder, red pepper chili flakes, cumin, oregano and salt.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring and breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in avocado. Slice baked sweet potatoes lengthwise just until open. Fill with turkey mixture.
- Optional: 1 fresh jalapeno!